Thursday, April 19, 2012

Go the distance! Well how far is that?

Ok now I'm done with some blogosphere housekeeping, I can actually get on with more important things.

Lately I have been trying to get out and do more running (mainly because I am too cheap to pay for a gym membership at the moment). I started out with the C25K program and I have come miles in progress since then, no pun intended. Ok yes it was...

Seriously though, 6 weeks ago I could hardly run a quarter mile. Just this past Tuesday, I ran 6.5 miles (no that wasn't part of the plan). Why? Because I could. Physically I actually could.

I went out for my usual short run and I felt so good I thought "why stop?" so I didn't... for a long time... The funny part about it was that I knew I had to stop at some point, but when? I knew I had one of three options:
  1. Run until I fall over. Not highly recommended...
  2. Run until my phone runs out of battery. I was using it to track my location and time and there was only 8% left so it would die eventually... hopefully before I did...
  3. Stop after a certain time and/or distance.
So I knew the third option was the most practical, but where do you draw the line? Here was my thought process.

I was just under 5.5 miles at that point so I thought to at least finish out the mile. But why stop at 6 miles when I could do 6.2 and say I've ran a 10K? But 6.2 is such an odd number to stop at. Ok 6.5 tops! Done.

Today my coworker told me I crazy and I over-thought this whole thing. Who? ME??

Hakuna matata!

1 comment: