Thursday, April 19, 2012

Highs and lows of a yo-yo dieter

This is by far not my first time trying to lose weight. As I said earlier I am a professional yo-yo dieter. You name it, I've probably tried it. But obviously, nothing before now has stuck. Part of that has to do with my lack of self discipline, and the other part of that has to do with my emotional ties to comfort food.

I've been overweight my entire life, literally. Never got rid of the baby fat and it just got worse from there. You would never be able to find a picture of me under any synonym of 'skinny'. My weight and size has gone up and down more times than I can count over the past 10 years.

I hit my all-time low junior year in college (after gaining the freshman 30). I was able to get down to 169 lbs by spending 2+ hours at the gym every morning.

I didn't change my atrocious eating habits so I gained it all back very quickly after having surgery the beginning of my senior year. I couldn't go to the gym while recovering and then I just didn't have the time with all the school work I had to do.

Fast forward a couple of years and we get to my all-time high this past summer. It was somewhere around 215 lbs but I don't know for sure since I avoided scales at all costs. After a difficult break up, food once again became my comfort.

My couch and I spent a lot of time in front of the TV that summer. I felt so disgusted with myself at that point. I knew I needed to turn myself around both physically and mentally.

I was able to lose the first 10 pounds between then and the New Year but I knew if I wanted to make a difference I needed help. I had seen Nutrisystem commercials for years and the impulsive buyer that I am thought "ah what the heck. Why not?".

It's been 3.5 months since and so far I am doing well. I am back to my old weight and can even fit into most of my old college jeans again. For now. I want those babies falling off my hips by the time I'm done here.

Hakuna matata!

No comments:

Post a Comment